Home Page

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Dedicated to the Man I Love

I promise that after this one, I'll not regurgitate another OM for a while. With this proviso: if I get an OM that just screams at me to share it with everyone who might not yet be enrolled with the OM-a-day link, I'll just have to post it.




Amiss to Miss
~ by Kidest Mengistu ~
Daily OM

“I miss you” – here are words that hold no truth to what is real. The very language we choose can indicate to us what kinds of concepts we hold within our own mind. The very words we choose to use can show to us the belief or perspective we use to experience life.

When you come to understand that the whole of existence exists in unity, always and forever at-one with everything, you realize that nothing comes and nothing goes. I have never come and gone. You have never come and gone. We have always existed tied and united in the deepest of ways to the point that there is no telling where “I” end and “you” begin. That’s how close we are.

“I miss you” really says “I miss seeing you in front of me” or “I miss having you around” or “you’re gone and I don’t see you anymore but I want to” or whatever other meaning implies that there exists a separation between you and this other person.

What a lie. This is a lie born of relying on our senses and the mind dependent on these senses to tell us who we are. We are not the minds and the bodies that we use. We are not the temporary experiences that we have attached to. We are not the minds and bodies that are constantly renewing themselves to the point that what’s true for this mind-body right now will not be true in five minutes. That’s how fast and how much these layers are constantly changing.

Who I am cannot be missed because it is always the same. When you say “I miss you” you’re saying this to the memories you hold of the person. Those memories stop being representative of this person’s layers the moment they became memories. You’re missing a past story. You’re missing a mental object. You’re missing something that in no way exists anywhere but in your own mind.

There is no space or distance between us, the core of our being – who we really are. There never was and there never will be. Time and space, distance and separation, are appearances but appearances are not the truth, and they don’t even come close to the truth.

“I miss you” is based on false perceptions. It’s amiss to miss.

So what’s the alternative?


“I love you.”

2 comments:

Don said...

These are some very sweet sentiments. But yes, it will be nice when you post more Fiona and less OM! :p

Fiona said...

I know, I know, more of 'me' Matt. Just that 'me' has been so darned busy with work I've hardly had time to think. Plus I'm so in luuuuuuuuuuurve that the thoughts I do have spare, centre around this amazing man :)

I should be good to go in a few days when I get this bonus kerfuffle* behind me. Damn auditors keep changing the numbers!!

*Etymology: alteration of carfuffle, from Scots car- (probably from Scottish Gaelic cearr wrong, awkward) + fuffle to become disheveled

 

free html hit counter