Home Page

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Despite and Because


de·spite
–preposition
1. in spite of; notwithstanding.
–noun
2. contemptuous treatment; insult.

be·cause
–conjunction
1. for the reason that; due to the fact that.
—idiom
2. because of, by reason of; due to.


The occasion arose in a conversation the other day, when I wanted to reassure someone that his perceived 'faults' do not in any way put me off. And I say perceived because they are his perception not mine.

Without thinking too deeply on it, I said: "I love you despite and because". Not despite. And because. But, despite and because. No separation of the two. I cherish the complete package. And I do. I love him despite everything and because of everything.

There are a lot of other things in our lives where the same applies.....despite and because. That wonderful balance of the two. And sometimes their boundaries are blurred to the point that they overlap and become interchangeable.

Example:
Despite not having heard from her, I reached out to contact her.
Because I hadn't heard from her, I reached out to contact her.

5 comments:

Trueself said...

That is beautiful. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

You really have a way with words!!!!!
Bridget

George said...

I probably would have used ... in spite of ... means the same and you said it beautifully. Not quite the juxtaposition of words we would normally think of.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful insight.

Sunny Delight said...

Beautifully stated, and so true, in so many ways.

I keep thinking of how we can become so annoyed with what we see of as small faults or little annoyances....we love despite them. Yet, those same annoyances on one of the 'becauses' of why we love them.

Fiona said...

TS - thank you :)

Bridget - thank you for dropping by :)

George - sometimes I just blurt out things and it's only later I realise what I've said :)

Sunny - that's exactly it...loving the despites as much as the becauses. Hugs :)

 

free html hit counter